Getting a massage in my house

 I love massages. About as much as I like alcohol. During a massage, I feel free. I suffer from intractable pain.


No, it wasn't due to an injury. It was all because of my genetics. I have a tendency to have inflammation.


My Mom's side has a number of relatives with autoimmune disease.


That's why massage on demand was a great discovery for me.


I am in chronic pain, and I refuse to take pain medication. It seems that's all my doctor wants me to do. To him, that's the answer. To me, it's as good as a death sentence.


I'm quite happy I didn't listen to him when he told me hydrocodone is not addictive. I had a sneaking suspicion that beneath his unshakable veneer of arrogance, there lies a man who is clueless. I stay with my doctor, however,  as most of them are just the same.


I am an artist by birth, an artist by vocation. I work at home, mostly, except when I have to meet with clients. And no, with COVID, meeting with clients happens rarely, if at all.


Massage at home in New Jersey was a great way to make life at home more livable. But right now, the places I use are not operating. And so, I rely exclusively on Epsom salt baths, medical cannabis, and sleep to deal with chronic pain.


I had another doctor that told me it was all psychosomatic. I left her in the dust. Not before telling her about my cousin who died from lupus, my other cousin who died from scleroderma, my Mom who has lupus and almost lost her life, and my two sisters with other autoimmune disease, one of whom is confined to bed, the other a wheelchair.


I have to admit, I also threw in an expletive before walking out of her office. Her secretary was like, "You didn't pay!" I was like, "No, I did not. Have a great day."


Here's a scarier thought: Even though her consultation consisted of precisely three minutes, one listening to my symptoms and two of her condescendingly telling me it's all in my head, they kept calling me for months to get paid. They even put my name on a list for collections. How did I deal with it? I reported them. Magically, the calls stopped. Incredible.


I'll tell you what works for my autoimmune inflammatory pain:


1. hot showers upon waking and in the evening

2. Epsom salt baths

3. avoid eating during the day

4. taking my vitamins

5. medical cannabis

6. massage

7. chiropractic care

8. yoga

9. meditation

10. eat well and balanced


I'd suggest that if you're suffering, you try adopting all of the above. Each, on its own, is only okay. Together, each of these items makes my life livable. Remember, folks, your doctor may laugh, she may scoff, she may insinuate it's all in your head. Steer clear of the "pain doctors" they try to send you to. They're just legal drug pushers who will give you a (legal) addiction to opiates and other drugs. It's your life. You're not a guinea pig. You're not someone's experiment. Try to remember that to most doctors, you're just a "subject." They've been socialized to see you that way. I took pre-med and it starts there. So, so, happy I decided against a career in "doctoring" and instead opted for commercial art and music.


Of course, to play keyboard and paint, I need my fingers to feel pain-free. I have to work, and so I was FORCED to find solutions. Hope this helps someone!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Experience With CBD Hemp Flower

Poetry